Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mixed Feelings

Morry Gash/AP Photo


I watched the Kentucky Derby today as I usually do each year. The race itself was great. Horses are such magnificent and beautiful animals. "Big Brown" was my personal favorite and I was so excited when he won - that win was well deserved. But "Eight Belles" fell at the end of the race after coming in second and had to be put down.

I don't know about you but I get kinda sick when something like that happens. That incident reminded me of the struggle of Barbaro in '06. He was severely injured and struggled for months to recover, only having to be put down. To see an animal hurt breaks my heart and to see one suffer and struggle to survive, only to die at the end is even worse. So, I guess I have mixed feelings about this year's race. Congratulations to "Big Brown", his trainers and owners and condolences to "Eight Belles", her trainers and owners.

No comments: