Saturday, March 7, 2009

What A Deal!?

Readers - I know you've been to the grocery store lately and noticed the shrinking packaging of your usual staples. I first noticed it about six months ago while buying cereal - the boxes were so skinny. Now all the groceries are looking smaller. The problem is that quantities are smaller but the prices remain the same. Effective marketing or just a rip-off?

I feel sure that companies do a lot of psychological studying before they decide the best way to market their products. They probably felt that people wouldn't notice smaller packaging as fast as higher prices. They are correct in their conclusions but after a while, the smaller package begins to make many consumers feel ripped-off. I would be one of those consumers.

I love these deals - Buy One Get One Free. But if you think about it, we are not getting anything free. The total size of both packages/containers are equal to the size of one so we're actually just getting one. Where's my free one???!!!

No comments: