Thursday, November 22, 2007

Share The Germs?

Well, today is Thanksgiving and I had to celebrate alone. I got up and gave thanks to God for my family, friends, and all of the many blessings He has bestowed upon me.

Now, I'll go back in time (just like in the movies) to explain why I'm spending Thanksgiving alone. Several months ago, I was invited to spend Thanksgiving with some of my wonderful family and friends at the lake. I was really looking forward to the long, relaxing weekend with some of the nicest and most generous people in the world.

During the afternoon of day before yesterday, my nose started feeling a little stuffy and my muscles started to ache. By evening, I was sneezing and my nose was continuously buried in a Kleenex. O.K., this was not good. Yesterday morning, I woke up with a full-blown cold and needless to say, I realized that this was going to put a damper on my Thanksgiving plans. I was disappointed that I had to call my family and friends and tell them that I wouldn't be able to make it for the festivities. I realized that sharing my germs with my loved ones was not the best idea.

Now, back to the present (just like in the movies). The weather is overcast but warm. I really sound worse than I feel so I decided that since there is little human activity on the roads today, I would get out, do some errands and go through the drive-thru at Lizard's Thicket and pick up some turkey and dressing and bring it home and eat it. I needed to do things that would not put others at risk of catching my cold. So, here are my activities and my observations for today.

I had prepared an arrangement to put on the grave of my youngest daughter, Erin. So my first stop was the cemetery. I noticed some others there also. As I drove in, I noticed an older man and a youngster and guessed that they were probably grandfather and grandson. They both stood with their heads nodded - peering over a grave. As I drove further into the cemetery, I noticed other people alone - staring at graves. The people there brought sadness to me. I realized that there are so many people in this world that are hurting. Again, I prayed. I gave thanks for my wonderful family and prayed that the people still hurting from the loss of a loved one will find peace and comfort through God's love.

I left the cemetery and proceeded down a little two - laned road lined with beautiful trees displaying their brilliant colors. This is a good day for riding and looking. Few cars and few people. I always enjoy riding by churches and reading their signs. I noticed one that brought meaning to me. "A heart filled with thanks has no room for bitterness". How true!

I arrived at Lizard's Thicket and got my plate to take home: turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, rice, collards, yams and cornbread. Sounds great doesn't it? Lizard Thicket's food is always good but it would have been better if I could have tasted it. Don't you just love what a cold does to your taste buds?

You know for weeks now, there have been ads for all of these wonderful deals on Christmas gifts that will be on sale starting tomorrow. As I drove home, I passed another cemetery and noticed that they have a sale going on also: 50% off of ground plots and 30% off of crypts. Now, I know it is important to prepare for our final rest but I don't believe this would be a Christmas gift that would bring me joy and make me feel gleeful. I think if it would bring me any emotion - it would be paranoia. I would wonder if the person that gave it to me knew something I didn't.

I plan to spend the rest of the day kicked back in my recliner checking the back of my eyelids for holes.

Have A Wonderful, Blessed Thanksgiving, Everyone!!!

No comments: