Thursday, February 7, 2008

One Benefit of Doing Genealogy


Betty Henson (on the right) with her sister Adeline

Betty Henson and her husband Taylor O'Kelley



I have been researching my family for several years. It wasn't easy because I had no idea who my family was past my grandparents. I found the name Betty Henson in my family lineage and spent many months trying to find out who she was. Well, let me tell you who she is - my great grandmother. As all genealogists know, that puts a spark in you and you start researching your new lead almost non-stop.

I researched and researched and found that Betty's father was Daniel Henson. From there, I found that Daniel Henson was actually Daniel Henson, Jr. and that Daniel Henson, Sr. was from VA. I found others that were doing Daniel Henson research on the internet and was able to reach some of them by e-mail. Almost everyone I contacted was glad to share their information with me. From this shared info, I discovered Daniel Henson, Sr.'s Revolutionary War Affidavit.

To make a long story short - after spending many months organizing my information, I sent in proof of my lineal descent from Daniel Henson, Sr. to the Daughters of the American Revolution and I'm honored to say that I was recently accepted for membership. Wow - that makes me happy! Who wouldn't be honored to belong to an organization whose motto is "God, Home and Country"?

"In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future".

- Alex Haley


No comments: