Saturday, February 2, 2008

Just Remembering

A Collage I Made of Some NASCAR Legends

Me and Ricky Rudd



I noticed that the new NASCAR season starts very soon and I started thinking about the races before they went Hollywood. This was a time when we all looked forward to going to the pits after the race and wandered around in the pits until we found our favorite drivers and got our pictures taken with them and of course, their autograph.

I first started listening to races on the radio because they weren't on TV and of course, we couldn't afford to travel to the races. So, the only way to keep up on what was going on was by listening to radio. I remember my father's favorite driver was Fireball Roberts and he was mine too. It was legend that the best car to purchase the coming year was determined by the make of the car that won the most races that year. I heard - that must really be a good car! That was the days of the good ol' boys who really loved mingling with their fans and felt honored by the long autograph lines in the pits.

Now, I really can't blame the drivers today for wanting to make more money and they have brought their paychecks up by broadening their fan base. I realize that the more fans that are at the races, the less the drivers are able to spend "one on one" time with their fans. I would be the same way if I were talented enough to "run with the big boys".

Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to remember the good ol' NASCAR days, including the racing at the dirt tracks.




No comments: