Sunday, April 6, 2008

WOW !!! Phenomenal Sight



If you have read my profile, you know that I love geography and spend a lot of my free time looking for anything pertaining to geography to study. NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) gives great information to the public and I enjoy reading the information they provide. I found one of their websites that shows some awesome pictures - http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/. It is there that I found this photo by Wayne Jones which was taken near the Greenville-Spartanburg, SC airport.

This phenomenal sight is called a tangent arc. The formation has to do with the position of the sun, cirrus clouds, and ice crystals. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the arc except some of the elements that are needed to create it. It is now my personal project to find a simple explanation so I can understand.

However, I thought I would share this picture with you. If you know about the arc and have an easy - to - understand explanation, let me know.

No comments: