Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Genealogy Day

It has been a great day for doing things that did not take me outside. It has been cloudy and drizzling most of the day. So, I decided to work on genealogy.

Before I began my research, I walked outside and I saw a snake lying on the pinestraw next to my porch. I really do not have a great phobia of snakes as long as they crawl away from me and not toward me. I went inside to get my camera but it was gone when I went back out. About 30 minutes later, I saw the cutest little turtle in almost the same place. Wow! This must be wildlife day. Now, back to my genealogy research and a great discovery I made.

All of us dabblers in genealogy know it is fun to get a lead and try to find the proof. I found a lead that my great great grandfather is listed in the Haywood County NC voter's book which is dated 13 August 1835. The problem is finding where the book or at least a microfilm of the book's pages resides. I called the county court house and they did not know whether they had it or not. I called the Haywood County Library and they put me in contact with a man who is a volunteer in the Carolina Room in the library. He was a home at the time and did not know if the book was on one of their microfilms. He did, however, locate a marriage record for my great great grandfather on his database. He was extremely generous with his time and offered to research the marriage record and send me a copy if it can still be found. I will have to contact the State Archives about the records in the Voter Book because so many county records were sent to the State Archives so they can be preserved. Hopefully, the book still exists.

Also, I received The Baptist Courier in the mail today. There was a huge ad on the last page that advertised How to Get on Fire for God. You will never be Lukewarm again. The name of the conference is Transformed. I was really excited and found it is being held close to where I live so I will be able to attend. I registered for the four hour conference because there is nothing better than getting on fire for God and to be transformed to help me reach my God potential.

I believe I had a wonderful, blessed day and I hope you did too.


No comments: