Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My New Challenge

Today was the end of the geraniums. They lived a long healthy life throughout the extremely hot summer but it was time for the fall flowers to take their place. I removed their faded leaves and their roots from the flower box and placed them respectfully in the trash bag. Actually, It was kind of sad. I guess I have a soft spot when it comes to witnessing the end of anything. But I planted some scrawny little pansies in their place.

My eyes caught a glimpse of the little pansies as I was checking out all of the fall plants at the store They really looked bad and probably did not have long before they were tossed out. Their color was faded and their leaves were wilted. I decided that I wanted to help them so I brought them home with me. I carefully removed their shallow little roots from the plastic prisons that were choking them to death. Quickly, I returned them to some fresh soil where their little roots could be free and stretch as far as they wanted. I gave them a big drink of water and wished them well. Now, only time will tell if they are strong enough to survive. Occasional reports on the status of their health and whether or not they like their new home will follow in the upcoming weeks.

No comments: