Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Onion Attack

One of the culprits

I covered the wound for the pictures to spare you from the gore.


I really am curious if anyone else has suffered an injury from an onion. Here's the way it went down on Monday (I watch a lot of cop shows). The vic (that's me) was going to make chili. Of course, one of the main ingredients in chili is onions.

I went to the grocery store to get a couple of onions for my chili. I approached the bin containing a big pile of onions with caution because I know onions can be vicious at times. And just as I stuck my hand into the bin to make my selection, my fear became reality - the perp (alleged onion) struck my thumb with intense force.

I immediately felt the stinging pain and withdrew my hand from the bin and examined my wound. I noticed a red spot on my thumb and tried to be brave as the pain became greater. Unfortunately, this was a covert operation and I was unable to pick the perp out of a line up. But, I am a "brave lil' soldier" so I "sucked it up" and continued my shopping.

Seriously though, that little prick from an onion has caused my thumb to swell, turn red and throb for days. It even had a fever. I am a fan of the T.V. show "House" so I immediately tried to diagnose the injury. Is it a splinter? I don't see one and I have never heard of onions having splinters. Is it a spider bite? I hope not.

I use the "old school" treatments for wounds: an Epsom salt soak to draw out the infection and ease the soreness, a white vinegar soak as an antibiotic, Dial soap to wash it and a band-aid so I can't see it. I must say that the treatment has helped but my thumb is still red around the once red dot. I can see it is definitely infected so I may have to give in and go to the doctor. My home remedies aren't working fast enough because it has been 5 days since the onion attack. But it's going to be embarassing to tell the doctor that I hurt my thumb on an onion.

Does anyone know if onions have splinters or some other debris that could do this?

No comments: