Monday, January 26, 2009

Sopping Pot Liquor and Gravy


Cornbread

Collards

Blackeyed Peas
Molasses
Biscuits and Gravy


I thought I'd share with my readers some of my sopping favorites. Over the years, I have developed my favorites when it comes to pot liquors and which bread I use to sop.

Cornbread, of course, is best for collard, cabbage, pole bean, pinto and other dried bean pot liquors. Cornbread seems to work well with the pot liquor in stews also.

I prefer biscuits with all milk gravies and gravies made from the grease of pan fried foods. Of course, biscuits are good with molasses and butter.

I know all this may seem trivial but it is important when I go out to eat and have to select a restaurant for my dining pleasure. Most fancy restaurants don't have food with pot liquor or cornbread or biscuits. Also, if I happen to find a bit of juice left on my plate that I can sop, the hard rolls most fancy restaurants serve aren't very good absorbers and I usually end up pushing the juice around. Now, I do have a little class so I'm not going to spend too much time chasing the juice around. Instead, I'll just lift my plate and lick it (please know I am kidding about licking my plate but it is an idea).

Are there any readers out there that enjoy sopping as much as I do?

1 comment:

Heather Palacios said...

luv luv luv luv cornbread. We all just ate it last week w/ yummy soup. I think I'd like collard greens, but have NO clue how to make 'em.