Thursday, March 27, 2008

Decisions! Decisions!

Some of the best advice I have ever had in my life came from my father. I would say something like, "I don't know if I should or not." He would answer, "When in doubt, don't." Then he would go on and say, "Think about it. What you decide could last forever." Our decisions most often don't just affect us but also at least one other (if not more) person in our lives. Isn't it strange how we heard the words of our parents but we never ingrained their wisdom in our hearts and minds? Boy and how! I wish I had listened and followed what I was taught.

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise."
Proverbs 19:20 (NIV)


I am much older now and a tad bit wiser and I try to follow some steps when making decisions. But, unfortunately, I don't always follow these steps and do what is right. It sure would make my life much simpler and more fulfilling if I did.


First, I pray about my decision

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)



Second, I ask -
Would my decision be pleasing to God?
Will it do damage that I will have to face for a long time ?
Will it be hurtful to others?

"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked.
A man reaps what he sows.
The one who sows to please his sinful nature,
from that nature will reap destruction,
the one who sows to please the Spirit will reap eternal life."
Galatians 6:7-8 (NIV)


Third, I ask -
Will my decision help defeat the devil?
The devil is waiting to take
advantage of every situation he can. He is definitely
our enemy and should be treated as such.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord."
Psalms 1:1-2 (NIV)

The first one - praying about my decision before I make it is the one I often fail to do and then I have to pray later and ask God to help me because I'm stressed out about the decision I made. The one thing I have found out for sure is that my decisions and my actions always affect my life and the lives of others and that is the reason the Bible is so important in our lives. When all else fails - read and follow the instructions! God has given us a manual for life - let us use it.




No comments: