Thursday, March 13, 2008

Let's Talk Words

Remember when you were a kid and you asked your parents how to spell a word? I do and it seems that they always told me to look it up in the dictionary. I always found that strange because I felt like I needed to know how to spell the word to look it up. That directive never made much sense to me. But the result did make me curious about words.

One word that always made me curious is "cycle". We say bicycle, tricycle and motorcycle. Why is the suffix "cycle" in motorcycle pronounced differently than "cycle" in bicycle and tricycle? There probably is a reason but I have no idea what it may be. If anyone knows, please let me know.

One of the words I think is just plain ugly is "merge". I don't know why, but to me- it just sounds ugly. Couldn't the "merge" signs on the highway say "combine or blend or unite gradually"? Just a suggestion.

Does anyone else have a word that sounds weird to them?