Saturday, March 1, 2008

One of My Favorite TV Shows

Big rig driving on the ice road


Ice on the lake that the big trucks drive over



The History Channel is one of my favorite stations. There are so many shows on that station that are entertaining, as well as educational. But let me tell you - Ice Road Truckers is my all time favorite History Channel show. Last summer, I was surfing the channels on tv out of boredom and ran across this show. Wow! It didn't take long to get my attention. After watching the first show, I looked forward to the new installment each week.

The show is about six men who drive the ice roads in northern Canada for about two months. It is a contest to see which man can haul the most loads/tons of equipment and supplies to the isolated diamond mines. They drive through "white outs", over frozen lakes and in really freezing temperatures to get there. The cold temperatures are really bad on their trucks and on the drivers when their trucks break down. You can hear the ice crunch and crack under the heavy loads. This is really bad because the cracking noise is from ice over lakes. Yes - they are driving over frozen lakes. You can see the waves under the water as they travel. If the waves get too high, the ice breaks and the trucks go down.

You really have to see the show to appreciate the drama. Check out www.history.com/iceroadtruckers and take a look at their videos. I don't know if or when the new season of the show starts but I keep checking the schedule so I won't miss it.




No comments: